BUILDING & CHURCHYARD
The nave, and north and south transepts were built principally during the early thirteenth century although there are traces of a Saxon building in the north east corner of the nave. This strengthens the theory that an earlier, smaller building existed prior to 1070 AD and was probably later incorporated into the north transept. There is little to see of the Norman period apart from a cartoon face on the corbel of the north side of the east wall of the chancel. Most of the Early English work has been overlaid by the Perpendicular period.
On the north wall of the nave can be seen the outline sides and crown of a window although there is no trace on the outside face of the wall. This could have been the beginning of work planned by the Templars which was never carried out. Most of the major architectural work was done by the Hospitallers who added the Perpendicular clerestory windows of the nave, the nave timbers, the tower and the porch with its striking arch into the church. The outer arch into the porch bears the heads of a Bishop, possibly of Lincoln, and a King, probably Richard II, representing both church and state. These give an approximate construction date of around 1380-95. During this period a medieval chancel screen and rood loft were installed. There are also faces on each side of the east window on the outside of the chancel wall.
Since then there have been no major alterations apart from the collapse of the north transept around 1740 and the major restoration work which took place during 1866. During that period the screen was removed although the blocked doorway that led to a loft can be seen high above the pulpit.
There are also several traces of windows which cannot be seen externally and which may or may not have once existed.